Prospective trainees must:
1. Application for eligibility for selection
– Application form provided by RACDS.
– Includes evidence of dental and medical degree, CV and 4 nominated referees.
2. Collection of referee reports
– PPA reports will be sought from at least 8 consultants who have been named by the applicant
as previous supervisors. 4 consultants will be nominated by the applicant and 4 will be selected
by the Selection Committee from the list provided of all previous posts and Consultants.
3. Structured panel interviews
– Consists of three 15 minute interviews in front of a panel.
Trainees must successfully complete a minimum of four years full time in accredited posts – trainees are not appointed for the entire training period; they occupy accredited posts on a yearly basis. It is the responsibility of the trainee to secure suitable training posts.
Surgical Science and Training (SST) Examination: AUD $5,200
Final Examination: AUD $8,600
Admission to Fellowship: AUD $360
Application for Selection: AUD $1,800
RACS Courses you can do:
– Australia and NZ Surgical Skills Education and Training (ASSET) Course
– Care of the Critically Ill Surgical Patient (CCrlSP) Course
– Critical Literature Evaluations and Research (CLEAR) Course
– Early Management of Severe Trauma (EMST) Course
– Training in Professional Skills (TIPS) Course
PGY Intake Year (earliest)
Training Duration (minimum)